Happy August 1st Fit Girl Mob!
I decided last night when I was taking a few minutes to relax from packing to kind of do an “overview” of my life. SO much has changed for me in the past few months and I am going through some huge life changes. I learned back in stress management with one of my favorite professors, Dr. Michael Voight that these big life changes all factor in to be the top stressors in our lives. Now when I say stressors, I don’t necessarily say that as a bad thing. Eustress is another word for good stress (I know what you’re thinking: how could stress be good?) and this type of stress is related to desirable events in a person’s life. 3 months ago, my move to California, starting a new internship and beginning a new relationship was the eustress in my life. Today I would say marks “step 2” of the journey and a whole new list of stressors as I move in with my boyfriend Josh today, start a real job in the next few weeks, and basically begin to cut the cord from Mom & Dad.
Since I am going through an exciting, yet stressful time in my life, I decided to share what I think are the best ways to cope with stress. I have always dealt with stress extremely well (for the most part!) thanks to my Dad. Our personalities are very similar in the fact that we stay calm, look at all aspects of the situation, and just “go with the flow”. Here’s what I came up with to help you keep your “cool”!
1. Exercise! – Obviously this would be my first choice, right? Release those happy endorphins and sweat out the bad!
2. Focus on what you can control.-This one is important because I find that most of the things I stress about usually are out of my control. What’s the point in working yourself up over something that you cannot fix yourself?
3. Smile.- “Fake it til you make it” and eventually that fake smile will turn into a real one…it’s almost inevitable!
4. Think about the positives in your life. When you’re not having the best day and it feels like just about everything is going wrong, stop and think of something in your life that is GREAT, something that you’ve done that is GREAT and remind yourself that you really are GREAT!
5. Meditate, relax or sleep it off.- When all else fails, take a nap and get over it. Rejuvenating and allowing your mind and body to repair itself through sleep has helped me through some of my most stressful moments in the past. Wake up and start fresh!
Follow these 5 simple steps to reduce and even eliminate the stress in your life!